NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Mejia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:32:19 -0400
My daugher Isabel is allergic to all forms of dairy. She had a intestinal
virus at 15 months age and after that began to have problems. She had a
stuffy nose and then started waking up at night throwing up. After taking
her off dairy she cleared up, and after 2 weeks stopped having symptoms.
Over time I discovered that even whey, casien, or any component of dairy
used in foods causes her to get a stuffy nose. If she gets too much of one
of them she gets the throwing up, stomache ache and either dirrahea or
constipation.
She is now 33 months old and still cannot have any bit of dairy. And believe
me it is 'hidden' in ALOT of things. You have to watch/read labels of
everything eaten; candy, breads, cake, dried fruits, margarine, gum,
cookies, chips, drinks, pre-packaged mixes for everything and medicines, etc
I am constantly finding things my daughter cannot eat, and still candy or
suckers can give her symptoms.
I now make my own mixes for cakes, cookies etc so my daughter can still have
treats.
I have found that the Silkwave Soymilk in the dairy case works great in most
everything for cooking along with Willow Run soybean margarine. The only
thing that I am still experimenting on getting right is pancakes.  My
daughter also loves to drink it plain or with chocolate or strawberry mix
added.
You will definitely need to download the NO-MILK MRI document from this list
service. It is a great resource on what to watch out for in food.
In addition, read up on using the kosher symbols, they are very helpful and
save alot of label reading.
Good luck and let me know if you want any other reference or information.
Cindy from Michigan

>From: Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Hello!  New here!