NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandra Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:05:14 -0700
  jj-cupples <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"Yes, this is a brand new product for Tofutti this year.  It is different from their cream cheese & sour cream products.  I don't know if they ever made cheese slices in the past, but this product just hit the markets late this summer.  The package says that it is milkfree, no casein, no animal proteins, no butterfat, all vegetarian, and has the K-parve kosher marking.  I do not know if they make this on a dedicated line, but it does pass for the kosher parve."

We recently tried the Tofutti cheese and I was really impressed by the texture and flavor.  It is the closest to real cheese slices that I have tried.  My son seems to like it.  However, when I put it on a ham sandwich for him he got some small hives around his mouth, where the sandwich would have touched his cheeks when he took a bite.  I wasn't sure if the reaction was caused by the Tofutti or something else.  But a couple of days later I fixed him a grilled cheese sandwich using the Tofutti and the same thing happened.  I don't know if it was something else in the "cheese" that caused the reaction, or if there is the possibility of cross-contamination.  I have not called the company to ask about cross-contamination.  But since it is labeled kosher parve you would think it wouldn't be cross-contaminated.

Sandy