NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 22:11:23 -0600
Hi Rene,
I may be able to offer some insight into that. I just finished reading
an other wise wonderful book by Kary Mullis, the 1993 winner of the Nobel
Prize for biochemistry. In one chapter, entitled "The Age of Nutritional
Obsession" he states:
"The human digestive system transforms everything we eat, including
cholesterol, into unrecognizable bits of matter before turning it into us."
Later, in the same paragraph, he says: "Only these little pieces of
universal matter are allowed into our bloodstream."

That statement reflects much of the medical profession's perspective on
food allergies.... they are usually not real. When a Nobel Prize winner in
biochemistry is saying things like this, you can be sure that many folks
are listening. They may not say it out loud to parents and patients, but
the attitude often effects how folks, right down to the kitchen, percieve
requests for dietary vigilance. If they really believed it could be a life
or death matter, most folks would bend over backwards to accomodate such
requests.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of "experts" out there who haven't looked
into the matter of dietary sensitivities very closely, but they nonetheless
seem to believe that their expertise extends to that area.

Just one man's opinion.
best wishes,
Ron