NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:22:58 -0500
I'm totally astonished by the ignorance displayed by people that really
should know better.  I've never had that experience in a hospital, but when
working with a nutritionists to deal with our food issues I was forever
having to remind her of foods she listed as "safe" that were not.  She
listed foods like mashed potatoes.  Well, sure, if you boil a potato and
mash it, it's safe, but when you prepare it like the rest of the planet by
adding some milk and possibly butter, it's not so safe.  Powdered milk as
opposed to fresh milk - DUH!  She even recommended Flintstones brand
chewable vitamins. Lactose!!!  It's really frustrating and very scary as
well.

By the way, does anyone know of a dairy free chewable vitamin that tastes as
good as the Flinstone type?  At one point we purchased the Mor-Val (generic)
version with extra C because it didn't have lactose.  My son loved those but
they quickly put lactose into them by the time we purchased another bottle.
Since then we purchased some at our Wild Oats but my son just spit them out
because they were so nasty tasting.  If anyone has found something tasty
enough for the discriminating palette of a 3 year old I would be ever
grateful!

Gail