NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stuart Alan Creque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 23:00:14 PST
>Date:    Thu, 13 Mar 1997 05:35:57 -0500
>From:    "Peter L. Warren" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Butter Substitutes
>
>The last time I asked this question it seemed to be railroaded by the first
>reply to a tangential issue so I am rephrasing the question.
>
>Are there any dairy-free, gluten-free butter substitutes?  Thanks.

Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

In baking, butter supplies saturated fat and some moisture.  One can substitute
shortening -- I'm not aware whether Crisco is dairy/gluten free -- and I'll bet
The Joy of Cooking gives good advice on the arithmetic of the substitution.

In frying, try olive oil instead.

For a bread spread, flavored olive oil (with herbs, pepper flakes or garlic
steeped in it) also works well.  Unless you're trying to make cinnamon toast --
then you might try a lighter style of vegetable oil, sprayed on very lightly.
I'm not sure which vegetable oils would cause a reaction to someone with gluten
intolerance.

Best regards,

Stuart
E-mail: [log in to unmask] (Stuart Alan Creque)
Date: 3/13/97   Time: 11:00:14 PM
This message sent by Chameleon
(because carrier pigeons are too slow)