NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Suzanne DiPiero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:20:41 -0700
Hi all,
I just wanted to share with you my new favorite meal.
My husband came up with the idea of substituting the
cheese in lasagna with mashed potato!  This would give
it a creamy cheese-like texture.  Being LI for 10
years, I really miss lasagna.  We make the potatoes
using instant mashed potato, a little looser than
usual by boiling extra water (I never add any milk or
cream, even if the box asks for it).  I made enough
for 6-7 servings of potato and that was enough for
three layers in the lasagna.

To make the dish, I spread a thin layer of meat sauce
(homemade) in the baking dish and placed a layer of
noodles.  Then spread some potato thinly over the
noodles.  I added pepperoni, spinach, chopped
mushrooms, black olives and topped with more meat
sauce.  It's sounds more like a pizza than a typical
lasagna but either food is great since you can add
anything you want.  I repeated the layer three times,
finishing with a layer of noodles topped only with
meat sauce.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake.  It
doesn't take as long to bake because there is no
cheese to melt.  Mine was in for about 45 -60 minutes.
 I didn't really keep track, but I think 30 minutes
would be enough to heat everything.

We also make homemade ravioli in a similar was, using
the potato mixed with chopped pepperoni and black
olive.

I'll be making another lasagna soon, and freezing it
for an easy meal after we have our baby next month.
If anyone has any other ideas for dishes that I can
prepare ahead of time and freeze, I'd appreciate it!
Suzanne