NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kristin T Hulling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:11:25 -0400
I love you guys! I have learned so much from reading about your
experiences. I have a 6 year old who is allergic to peanuts (breaks out in
hives...obvious) and a four year old who is milk allergic/intollerant? My
four year old is my main concern...or confusion. We realized at 2 weeks of
age that he didn't like something I was eating. It only took  2 weeks to
return him to a happy baby after I gave up milk form my diet.  I nursed
him for a year and introduced Isomil Soy formula and he did fine.  We had
him tested for milk allergy at 15 months (blood test) and the result was
negative. The allergist said it could be because he was too young or he
may not be allergic. We have challenged him off and on and my husband and
I are convinced he is still sensitive. The problem is he doesn't have
obvious signs (like his peanut allergic brother) instead Joshua gets
moody. When he was 18 months - 2 he also had ear infections and tummy
problems after having any milk, so we pretty much just avoid it.
  My husband and I have been suspecting that he may be reacting to
something else recently.  He has been really  moody and emotional, but our
relatives all think we're crazy and it's just his age.
None of the pediatritions I have
talked to seem to have a clue about food allergies and the allergist I
contacted told me that if he wasn't breaking out in hives or have
breathing trouble that he didn't have an allergy.   Is there a reliable
test for those who are sensitive but not "allergic?"  I know there are
blood tests (RAST?) and skin tests. Should I be pusuing these or just
start eliminating? Any suggestions on what to eliminate first? I'm also
beginning to suspect my spacy and sometimes impulsive 6 year old may be
reacting to another food too, but maybe I'm just getting paranoid.
Thanks for any comments,

Kristi

P.S. Sorry if my questions have been asked and answered in