NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebridan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 22:20:35 EDT
Lisa,
Thanks for your post and I was interested in what you have observed especially
when it comes to the corn.  I just know that is one of the foods that can be
quite allergenic to many people though I never made a correlation to myself or
my children.  I'm going to pay close attention because tonight I made homemade
rice krispy treats.  I know, you are probably dying at the thought with all
the corn stuff in marshmellows.  I think I have a much better idea about
hidden milk and I've printed out some lists that I take to the grocery store
for a while.  I'm not entirely new at this since I once tried dairy free
myself and I do eat a pretty healthy diet.  But I have to eat healthy now
because when my 5 kids were young (and growing up myself) I had a terrible
diet and was addicted to sweets and basically got caught up in the low-fat
thing and ate low-fat junk food.  But I never ate a lot of dairy because I
knew it didn't agree with me but I fed it to all my kids.  I use to tell my
pediatrician that I thought regular formula (after I stopped breast feeding)
bothered my children and she put them on soy, but I really didn't notice much
improvement.  I realize now, that I cannot handle soy either.  I spend a lot
of time in the kitchen now and cook with only wholesome ingredients, no sugar,
preservatives, nitrates etc.  But I have trouble with the kids because I
basically brought them up on the wrong diet. Let me correct myself - they're
GOOD KIDS - just hard to get them to change eating habits!  My eighteen yr.
old was almost dairy free (stomach cramps) and now that I've told him about
other things dairy could be in, he is cooperating.  I'm working with my ten
yr. old because he just has too many emotional kind of problems to let this go
on.  Even though he cheated a little this first week he has been rather even
tempered and last night did not wet the bed.  Sorry to go on, thanks again.
Jane