C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"R. Hintz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:28:24 EST
Hi,

I wanted some opinions and input on an idea of mine. I am a single mom in my
late 30's with CP. I am ambulatory and use a cane. This is a very family
oriented town so opportunities to meet other single people are limited and
somewhat dismal. So, I have or am considering some less conventional
alternatives. There is an alternative, upscale newspaper that runs personal
ads, and I've been thinking of giving this a shot.

My problem with this approach is how to address the disability issue upfront
so that I don't get that glazed-over look of disappointment if I should agree
the meet someone in person. With the idea of limited space in mind, I am
trying to think of a humorous way to say that the external may not work quite
right but the internal me is definitely worth getting to know. So your
suggestions, ideas or opinions are appreciated.

I will say I have also had some involvement with online chat with some
success there in finding someone to talk with and brush up my social skills.
It has always been my experience that once most people get to know me the
disability fades into the background. New encounters however are still
somewhat anxiety provoking. Thanks, Renee