C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 08:17:23 -0700
I swear, I almost had a heart attack yesterday.  As you all know, I'm in an
electric wheelchair and I get to school using the normal buses.  50% of the
times, the buses are so out dated that the lifts are broken and the tie
downs doesn't work.  At least the bus drivers are nice and all that.

Yesterday, trying to get to school, the first bus lift was broken.  "Hey,
no biggy, I will wait for the next bus."  Got to school, went to class,
getting out of class and ready to catch the bus to go home.  I was at the
cross walk as usual and the like to walk was flashing.

It gets very interesting here.  My chair STALLS right after I hit the dip
to get onto the street.  No power at all in my chair.  Traffic was coming
by and I was stuck!!!  I kept trying to get my chair to work, but nothing
at all.  At this time I was manic.  I can deal with everything else, like
my physical handicap, or dealing with people, but when my chair brakes, I
turn into little pieces.  Imagine if you broke a leg and you were helpless.
 My wheelchair is a part of my body, and when that part breaks, a big part
of me is broken too.

There were some people crossing the street and noticed that I was having
trouble.  They tried to get me off the street, but my chair is nearly
impossible to push without switching over to manual.  I asked them to get
campus security.  It took forever for them to come.  They finally figured
out how to put me in manual and they were taking me to the office.  At this
time, I could careless what they were saying to me.  My mind was racing up
a storm on how to get home too to getting my chair fix by finals.

I did some problem solving.  "what the heck is going on??"  FINALLY I
noticed than my battery came disconnected due to the dip on the street.  I
managed to get my chair working and came home on the bus like usual.

After over an hour dealing with my thoughts, I came home...

So close at being Road Kill  :)

The battle must go on...

Toobs
<=-=;)*