CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 12:17:39 -0500
From:

disregard for the health of Sharon's son by a neighbor, I say that this type
of behavior is wholly unacceptable. It's more than passive neglect--it
borders on abuse (if she understood the potential consequences of violations
of the diet, and I gather from Sharon's reaction that she did).

As for my own son, I explain his condition and stress the difficulty in
knowing whether a processed food is safe or not. I simply send him with his
own food and extra for his friend (as Sharon did), and explain my limits. My
own family does not extend themselves for James; I view it as their
shortcoming and move on to protect my son's health (bring substitutes for
him). Friends usually are more accomodating. If a would-be friend cannot
respect the need to maintain a strict diet for health's sake, then they fail
to meet my criteria as a friend. And it does come down to respect and caring.
You can choose your friends . . .

Meanwhile, I expect a degree of self-control from my son that is exceptional,
and he rises to the challenge. He questions and refuses food or drink that
he's not sure of himself, and he is just five. His own education is our best
defense ultimately, I think.

Still outraged but at least vented,
Holly Baker
Media, PA, USA