CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:27:50 +1100
From:

thank you all for your replies to my query about my sons likely
reaction to gluten. what a great group! To summarise:

Of the 25 replies (so far) 13 of you reported that your children have
a strong reaction to an accidental gluten ingestion. Only 5 kids have
no reaction, and the rest have found that the reaction varies
(according to the amount ingested, or how long the child has been
GF). Some kids get more sensitive to gluten the longer they are GF,
whereas for others the opposite is true.

Symptoms generally include: diarrhea, tummy ache, vomiting,  and mood
changes. some kids experience headaches or disturbed sleep. You
reported an onset of symptoms anywhere from 10 mins to 5 days, but
most kids react in 4-24 hrs.

There doesn't appear to be a correlation between how sick the child
was prior to being GF.

i guess the most defining thing about CD is its variability!

So i will just have to wait and see and rely on the annual blood
check to make sure we are doing the right thing. It is of course
entirely possible that my son is yet to have an accidentally gluten
ingestion.

thanks again for all your help

sharee

--