CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:20:17 -0400
From:
Stewart & Linda Engelberg/Takacs <[log in to unmask]>

Hi everyone,

Our 5-yr-old was finally seen by a GI specializing in CD at Sick Kids in
Toronto.  At age 2.5 we moved to a GF & DF diet due to ongoing concerns
(ie: loss/pale stools ; constant running nose and colds; spitting-up;
ear infections; headaches; stomachs aches; MOODS).  His weight was never
drastically reduced although he was on the lower end of the curve and
not climbing.   On the GF diet all improved hence we've been comfortable
sticking to it w/o formal diagnoses.  We were surprised by the initial
consult which tossed us back into denial with renewed hope.  We were
informed that the symptoms related to malabsorbtion takes several
weeks.  To date we were of the belief that his reaction to gluten was
more immediate.  So this is our question: What are people's experiences
with the period of malabsorbtion and if you have any comments about the
approach at the Hospital for Sick Children please feel free to share
them as well.

We have started the GF challenge and today we watched our son have his
first peanut butter sandwich on 7 grain big toast, we both shed tears
from the distance.  We started with oats,  two weeks...so far so
good....I think.

Looking forward to your replies

Thanks
Stewart