C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Laura Minges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 12:30:46 -0700
Hi everyone,
I have been following your posts fot about two months now, but have not yet
posted.  I have spastic quad CP and am often stiff in the mornings.  It is
definitely not just a problem for older individuals.  I am 24 and have
recently had a pinched nerve which has increased my spasticity greatly.  I
am currently researching tens units to reduce pain, and have had ultrasound
therapy as well.  Another thing I often do is use visualization techniques
such as watching the tightness leave or mentally taking a tour of my body,
takung particular notice of areas that seem wounded, weak, or inflamed.
When I notice this, I often invite that part of my body to speak using my
voice, and I listen to what it has to say.  My right hand, for instance,
may say "You push me to do what I can't, and I am sad that you do not know
my limits" or "You do not appreciate what I can do because you want it to
be perfect"  Then I thank it and ask what I can do for it.  I do this
because I know that the effects of CP are increased by unexpressed emotions
and the way we feel.  It is especially helpful if any of you have had
sexual, emotional, or physical trauma as children, as I have.  It is based
on the Rubenfeld Synergy method of bodywork, which I have had done.
Rubenfeld Synergy is primarily for trauma survivors who are ready to
integrate theit bodies in the healing process, but can be used for anyone
who would like to learn greater appreciation and awareness of their bodies.
I realize that this is very non-traditional, but thought I'd pass it on.
Besides, how much have we really been helped by traditional methods?  :)
It may reduce spasticity as emotions are addressed, and it may not.  But it
is a good tool to have.  If it works for any of you, great.  Of not, chalk
it up to mt studying to be a Social Worker :)
Take care,
Laura