From:
John & Donna McPartlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 18:29:30 -0500

Here is the summary of replies:
Following is my bummer experience at the birthday party today...

My brother is a manager at the Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom in
Orlando and my 6 year old son is Celiac.  When we went there to eat, my
brother told the chef to clean the grill and to grill one of their
steaks without putting anything on it.  He also ordered steamed veggies
for my son.  You probably won't have luck with a steak at a birthday
party, but the veggies should help!  I think they might also be able to
grill a chicken breast.  I don't think they have baked potatoes on their
menu.

***
We visited the Rainforest Cafe in Grapevine Tx (Dallas area) I too
emailed ahead, but didn't get a satisfactory answer.  We ordered a
hamburger for him and I took along his GF hamburger buns that I make.
We didn't trust the fries (or whatever they call them).  I wasn't as
exciting a meal as we have sometimes had but we enjoyed the "Forest"
atmosphere anyway.

***
STAY AWAY FROM THE VEGGIE BURGERS!!!! I was there today and am I
suffering!
***
I usually get a plain salad, with diced tomatoes and a plain grilled
chicken breast (I bring my own salad dressing). I also order their
garlic mashed potatoes.

YOU MUST TALK TO A MANAGER. If you don't, you're at the mercy of the
server, who may or may not take the appropriate measures to ensure you
receive a gluten-free meal. A manager will ensure that they clean off a
section of the grill, serve butter on the side, etc.

***
If I remember correctly, you can get a burger patty and fresh fruit.
***
When my family goes to the Rainforest Cafe I order a steak plain with
smashed potato's and split it with my daughter. We are both Celiac's.
Unfortunately it is not a very kid friendly restaurant.
***
My experience -- Sunday, 12/5/99:

We went to the birthday party today at the RFC in Burlington.  I had
called earlier in the week and was unable to reach a live person.
Finally, I had left a message for Heidi but never heard back from her.
Today I got a hold of a "live person" and she played go-between with me
and the chef. For some reason, he couldn't come to the phone but assured
her that once I let them know I was there, he'd prepare something
special for my kids.  Unfortunately, that wasn't exactly the way it
went.

When I got there I spoke with the waiter and it sounded like he was
expecting me and he had some ideas. He did tell me that they cook fries
in a dedicated fryer, but unfortunately they're "seasoned" with flour.
Luckily, I brought corn chips, so that was OK.  My options were pretty
much a plain hamburger with fruit or a plain chicken breast.  Justine
really wanted the burger, so we went with that.  I brought my own Dove
Bars as the ice cream treat for my kids.

Half-way through the burgers, the waitstaff came running out saying
"Don't let them eat that!!!!" I asked why and they said the chef was
making them chicken. I questioned why and they said the burgers are
dusted with FLOUR!!! I freaked. I can't understand it. They grabbed the
burgers from my kids. By this time, Justine (who's 4) was crying her
eyes out because she really wanted a burger and didn't understand.  Now
everyone was else was eating but Justine was eating her chips waiting
for the chicken. When it arrived she settled down and really enjoyed
dipping it in the italian dressing I had brought for her & the fruit.
They apologized and wanted to know if she was ok. I said she's OK now,
but who knows what will happen later. When I got the kids all settled, I
ran to the ladies room and balled my eyes out. All the memories of how
sick she was, and how much I thought we were going to lose her came
rushing back. I'm still not 100% back to normal.  She thought she was
going to get sick on the car on the way home, but didn't.  She's been
acting out and very fresh all night, not sure if that's from the
excitement of the party and Christmas, or if it's from a tummy ache.

Anyway, that's how it went. I won't be going back.  I'm just very
thankful that yesterday we had a wonderful meal and time at the MA&RI
CSGC Christmas party yesterday and there will be times and opportunity
in Justine's life where she really doesn't have to worry.

Donna