From:
Donna Hemingson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:05:59 -0400

Dear List,
        Just a few comments about my trip to Italy last week.  Many on this
list have noted increased sensitivities to fumes and stuff.  Well, I
learned long ago never to take anything before going on a plane that dried
up my sinuses, not to drink any alcohol, do too much sugar and to hydrate
and stay hydrated. After being in Florence for a few days I was in severe
pain from the sinuses being irritated by the diesel and other fumes from
the small engines. This caused (I believe, as I have had this relationship
before) a root to become infected in one of my back molars. Being concerned
about what might happen on the plane home and unable to stand the throbbing
pain any longer, I stopped at a pharmacy and the man offered anitbiotics
and I dosed myself with amoxil 500- 3 times a day ( he even offered
augmentum- which I couldn't believe and later found out one does need a
prescription in Italy for antibiotics) Anyhow I was grateful and would have
tried to use my influence as an ex-pharmacist to get anything at that
point. In a couple of days I was just feeling civil again when a day in
Rome left me feeling like someone had torched the inside of throat and
head. You can't smell Rome but something is lethal there. The next day I
looked over the city from 20 mi away and a black cloud covered the city. So
now I was really concerned as I was on this amoxil and seemed to be getting
something else on top of it- I persevered with the antibiotics and now seem
not to be having a rebound and am recovering from the sinus problem and the
tooth is stable meanwhile- add to this my last day accidental poisoning
from gluten and the herpes virus on my lip and around my teeth and gums
that also got activated and--did I have any fun- Yes- but it was
interesting to deal with this. Sorry to go on but one last issue- how
conscious are they in Italy about gluten? I did not see much consciousness
there and did find some breads and cookies in a pharmacy- but nobody seems
to really know what you are talking about. Italians are really proud of
their food and I certainly did and do enjoy it and didn't seem to have any
problems until the thing I questioned and I knew better but he assured
me.... 100% meat!!! I felt like he thought I was questioning his integrety
and the authenticity of the meat and not something that related to me.

        This list is a great resource and I am constantly learning and
appreciate all your imput and sleuthing.  Take Care and good Health
to you all  Donna in PA