From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 19:36:19 -0700

I received many many responses to my query as to an association between
high cholesterol and celiac disease.  They were divided in reporting the
presence of cholesterol.  Many people had low cholesterol as a result of
fatty stools, and not being able to absorb fats.

More responded that they had high cholesterol, and did not seem to be
able to get it down with conventional methods such as diet.

Many repsonded that although they had low cholesterol diet, that it did
not effect the blood cholesterol levels, and that they were still high.

Some reported, as I was told by my doctor, that the liver makes
cholesterol, and in some people, the liver continued to make high amounts
and that diet would not help.

I was once on the Cambridge diet for 18 months.  In that time I ate
nothing, only drank 3 glasses of liquid diet for a sum total of 330
calories a day.  There was no fat in the mix.  It is a wonder that I am
alive (but since there was no gluten in the drink I felt great.)  My
cholesterol levels stayed high and I lost less than a pound a week for
the first year, and then I stopped losing weight.  This would confirm to
me that the liver was still making it.

I received one response with a solution.  Quote:
I believe my homeopath would tell you that if your cholesterol is out,
the first place to start looking is your liver, since this is the place
where it is regulated.  My friend had high cholesterol, but after dietary
and detox intervention by my homeopath (who is also a MD), she no longer
has a problem and is healthier and more energetic.  Would be worth
checking out, rather than waiting around to have a heart attack :)End

I wonder if those of us with high cholesterol and overweight have a body
that interprets nutrition deprivation such as in CD as a case of
starvation, and we are in starvation mode, conserving fat and nutrition.
Therefore the liver is making cholesterol as a measure to maintain life.
I wonder if there is a medical or research person who has ever checked
this out.  From what I know, overweight celiacs are a new discovery - and
not very well known about by the medical profession - and I doubt if much
is known about the reason some people gain and other lose and most stay
the same.  Just Wondering.  Thank you all for your great feedback.
Together maybe we can keep asking questions, and some great researcher
will win the Nobel Prize by answering it.  Carol in NJ