Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:03:17 -0700

At 02:45 PM 9/19/99 -0500, Cathy Flick wrote:

>i read in the :against the grain" that amaranth is a NO,NO,because it is
>loaded with oats,maltodextrihn,and other ingriedients that make this exotic
>a no-no..

As far as the maltodextrin goes, the following is what I clipped from Scott
Adam's website. Hope Scott doesn't mind.  -vance

****Maltodextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by
partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable
acids and enzymes.  (1) Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA,
must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn or potato.  This rule does NOT
apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and medications.  (2) Donald
Kasarda Ph.D., a research chemist specializing on grain proteins, of the
United States Department of Agriculture, found that all maltodextrins in
the USA are made from corn starch, using enzymes that are NOT derived from
wheat, rye, barley, or oats.  On that basis he believes that celiacs need
not be too concerned about maltodextrins, though he cautions that there is
no guarantee that a manufacturer won't change their process to use wheat
starch or a gluten-based enzyme in the future.  (3) - May 1997 Sprue-Nik
Press