From:
Cathy Flick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:55:06 -0500

Since I seem to live online these days and also don't have a car -- here
are some mailorder food sources I've run into that might be worth
checking out if you're looking for gluten-free and/or dairy-free and/or
vegan/vegetarian foods:

Whole Foods
www.wholefoods.com
They had Pamela's gluten-free cookies last time I looked, among other
things.

Also they carry Nayonaise, a really, really good tofu-based "mayonnaise"
with no dairy or egg - they seem to have the cheapest price for this item
of the mailorder outfits that I've seen so far, with the possible
exception of Frankferd Farms.

Dixie Diner's Club
www.dixiediner.com
Their specialty is soy foods, so if you can eat soy but can't eat dairy
or egg -- this is a good place to try! Lots of soy-based meat substitutes
for veggie types, also dairy-free puddings and yoghurt and "cheese" etc.

I noticed that in their catalog, they have quite a few items marked
"gluten-free". They're pretty good about listing ingredients for most
things.

www.harvestdirect.com
They have a lot of soy-based meat substitutes also, as well as other
things. The web site doesn't show many of the products, you need to
request a mailorder catalog.

www.frankferd.com
Corn pasta, rice pasta, teff flour (makes great tortillas/crackers), a
variety of nut butters, buckwheat groats and flour, amaranth flour, rice
flour, millet and millet flour, chickpea flour, quinoa flour,soy flour,
Pamela's gluten free mixes, tofu-based Nayonaise, lots of other stuff.
Haven't tried this one yet, but I have a wish list.

www.walnutacres.com
Some gluten-free mixes, rice pasta, millet, quinoa, chestnut flour, soy
flour, excellent nut/seed butters, mostly organic foods including produce
and canned foods. (Might need to get the mailorder catalog to see
everything easily, especially ingredients.)

I also finally located a dairy-free soft chewable calcium supplement:
CalBurst (Calcium Burst) calcium soft chews from Nature Made, cherry
flavor. Looks like a piece of bubble gum... 500 mg calcium and 200 IU
vitamin D per piece, 60 pieces in a box. Ingredients: sugar, calcium
carbonate, high maltose corn syrup solids, maltodextrin, water, partially
hydrogenated soybean oil, glycerin, gelatin, corn starch, gum arabic,
natural and artificial flavors, soy lecithin, sorbitan monostearate, mono
and diglycerides, acesulfame potassium, Red 40 Lake, Vitamin D3. Info at
222.naturemade.com, 1-800-276-2878. I bought mine on sale from Planet Rx
(www.planetrx.com), although their normal price is a bit higher than the
recommended retail price of $6.99 per box (according to the Nature Made
site at least). Probably is available at realspace pharmacies, though.

                       Peace, Cathy Flick [log in to unmask]