From:
Elizabeth Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:20:36 -0400

According to the GI I see, the biopsy is not the final word on celiac
disease - trying the gluten-free diet and getting results is.  My blood
work and biopsy were positive, yet, to him, my diagnosis is tentative, to
be confirmed by a six - eight week trial of diet.  As I may have observed
here before, the man demonstrates good sense.

So if GF diet makes you feel better, take heart, there is at least one GI
who would say that your celiac disease is confirmed right there.  The
question is what to do if it doesn't make you feel all better.  Is it
that you haven't adjusted to a new diet yet?  Has your body not healed?
Or is there something else going on?  That is the thing to watch out for
- that a GF diet may not be all you need.

So much for logic.  The week between my bloodwork and my biopsy, I went
gf - I didn't care if it messed up the lab work, I wanted to feel better
sooner.  We were visiting my in-laws, but I didn't want to mention my
diet because it wasn't 'official' so at dinner I would quickly scan the
table, and if nothing was above suspicion, I would sort of 'wander off'
and snack later, thereby losing about three pounds in a week, when I
really couldn't afford it.  Food and disease carry far more emotion that
is healthy for anyone!

Elizabeth