From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:04:27 -0700

There was a question about wine the other day and someone replied that they
thought all wine was safe.  This is not my conclusion.

What I have found based on my reaction is the following:  (This applies to
wines purchased in Canada)

The more expensive a wine is, the less likely to contain gluten.

Champagne is gf.

Estate wines - those made and sold by small vineyards - are gf.

Commercial wines - those made by big Canadian commercial wineries - are not
always gf.

Fortified wines such as port and sherry are NOT gf.

Wines made from kits (home made) are gf, as are wines made from scratch as
long as they are not fortified..

Most African, Australian, French, Spanish & Portuguese wines are gf.  (Have
had no problems with any of them.)

It is my understanding, but the wineries won't confirm this, that cheaper
wines, in Canada and maybe elsewhere, although made from good ingredients,
are 'helped' to achieve the correct alcohol content in a prescribed time by
the addition of grain alcohol.

In the booze department, Napoleon brandy (cognac) is gf, rum and other
brandy should be.  Tequila and other non grain alcohols should be ok also.

However, in Canada, when rum, brandy etc. is imported in the barrel and
'bottled in bond' additional ingredients may be added. I was told at one
time that Canada had a law (rule ?) that anything bottled in Canada had to
have some Canadian spirits added.  'Cdn spirits' will undoubtedly be grain
alcohol.

The above para is from word of mouth info and repeated as a possibility.  So
if this is no longer the case, I would be interested to hear from a large
distillery.  Don't bother to sue me, I am too poor to make it worth while.

As a result of above 'research' I now am an avid home wine maker and drink
the occasional brandy to celebrate - or for medicinal purposes - as they
say.

Jessie  in BC  Canada