From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:32:33 -0700

Hey all,

I called WishBone this morning about their Thousand Island, which is on
Abigail's list as GF.  I asked if it was gluten-free, and the woman told me,
yes, it's on their gluten-free list.  I then asked about the distilled vinegar
in the product, and how they could claim that was gluten-free.  (I was hoping
she'd tell me they use cider vinegar).  She said "their suppliers" certify
that the vinegar is gluten-free, but that's all she knows.  I know I will have
to call more people if I really want to eat this product, knowing for sure
it's GF.  I know distilled vinegar is a controvertial subject for Celiacs.  Do
you folks think it's right for these companies to claim their product is
gluten-free, when there is a product in it obviously made from wheat, barley,
rye or oats?  I'm considering writing to these companies to tell them that
scientific tests telling them their vinegar is gluten-free are not as
sensitive as an actual human Celiac and that they should be more careful with
the claim of gluten-free-ness.  Or at least that they should say *they*
consider the product gluten-free, but that some people who avoid wheat,
barley, rye, and oats choose not to use distilled vinegar made from wheat, and
therefore those people shouldn't use the product.

What do you all think?

-Christie in Chandler, AZ