From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 09:46:10 -0400

Dear List,

I think Gayle Kennedy is right to remind us that some people
experience neurological consequences from gluten. But I think it is
important to note that Ms. Kidder said her acupuncture/vitamin etc.
approach was not instead of but in addition to conventional medical
treatment for her delusional problems.

Ms. Kidder made quite a point of cautioning people on psychotropic
drugs not to go off them because "you'll flip out." In other words,
she was not suggesting that either she or her doctors believe the
alternative approach was the cure-all for her. We know that celiac is
the cause of a lot of strange and seemingly unrelated symptoms--and
that one of the reasons diagnosis and treatment can be so tricky is
that each symptom (except DH, I guess) can be caused by any number of
other things.

Back to Gayle's comments: it will be interesting to see if other
celiacs on the list report a family history of irrational anger.

Mary Brown
NYC