From:
Susan Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:47:36 -0700

I, like many of you, am self diagnosed, and I find the diet
works and keeps me well. When I told my doctor I had
figured out CD was the problem (her diagnosis had been
Irritable Bowel Syndrome and she had suggested I avoid
broccoli and cabbage) she said "I'm glad you are feeling
better." When I pressed the issue, hoping she would
consider this diagnosis for others with the same
symptoms, she shut down, ending the discussion by
telling me there was nothing more she could do for me
that I hadn't done myself by going on a GF diet for life.
In her opinion the tests would have been problematic,
expensive, and possibly unpleasant. I noticed she did
not mark anything down on my chart about CD and
asked why. She said there was no need to. I asked
what would happen if I was admitted to a hospital.
She told me to remind her then, and she would see
that I was served a gluten free diet. She is no longer
my doctor, but I doubt my new ones will be any
better (I'm in an HMO). Yet, despite her lack of
receptiveness, I think she was right about the diet
being the only thing available for help, and I am on
the right course since there is no drug therapy for
this condition.

Which leads me to my theory of why CD is not
on American doctors' radar screens. I don't know
about other states, but in California physicians are
not required to take continuing education courses,
so they rely heavily on pharmaceutical reps (or
reading journals if they have time) to update their
education. From what I understand, medical
schools do not spend enough time covering
nutrition.

I don't think it can be underemphasized how
much physicians rely on pharmaceutical companies
for their continuing education. Also, pharmaceutical
companies spend a lot on advertising campaigns to
get consumers to ask doctors for products, which
forces the doctors to learn about the newest drugs
and diagnostic tools. An example: the huge amounts
of money spent to educate doctors and consumers
about osteoporosis as soon as expensive drug
therapies were developed for treatment. I believe it
is because CD does not have a drug therapy that
American doctors are unlikely to be educated about
it. It's hard for health professionals and pharmaceutical
companies to make money off of diagnosing this
disease. My theory is that the key to getting better
diagnostic tools and physicians trained about CD
in the U.S. is figuring out a way for pharmaceutical
companies and health professionals to make big
bucks from diagnosis.

I hate feeling so cynical. Please tell me I am
wrong. It would make me feel better about our
health care system.