Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:03:59 -0700

        Interestingly, I received responses from 3 people who also have the
same sympthoms and don't know the cause.  One admitted feeling this way
mostly after having a salty meal or being on meds w/a high sodium content.
The other stated that she also had hypothyroidism, but didn't seem to know
if there was a connection between the two.  She thought, however, there may
be some connection with the salty mouth sympthom and female hormone balance.

Other suggestions of causes were:

        - Iron Level:  One person stated this happeed to them when iron
level was low.

        - Sjogren's Syndrom: Two people mentioned the possibility of this
autoimmune disease. Its sympthoms are dry mouth, thirsty all the time, dry
eyes. (I'm thirsty and my mouth taste salty, but it's not what you'd call
"dry" due to lack of saliva during day - only upon waking in the mornings.)

        -Sodium: Two people  mentioned that the cause may be too much
sodium in the diet and/or meds.

        -Type I Diabetes:  One person has Type I Diabetes and has this
salty mouth raction usually with high blood sugar (low insulin).

        -Drink More Water: One person agreed with the doctor that my water
intake may be the problem.  (After reading an article in our local
newspaper this weekend about the body's need for water, I think I shouldn't
rule out this possibility.)

        -Doctor Reactions:  Three people shared my experience of having the
doctor shrug off the problem as no big deal. (I suppose it's because they
just see us for 10 minutes and are paid either way.  We are the one's who
need to live with our bodies each day. - My apologies for seeming so
negative.)

        -Other Similar Problems:  Two people said they had similar problems
which could not be explained.  One with a copper taste in mouth which seems
to happen only when they eat cheese.  The other claims to have an
unexplained bitter taste on side of tongue.

        -Sooooooo:  I'm trying to drink more water each day.  I'm also
trying to keep track of my sympthoms.  I return to the doctor for my yearly
exam again next week and will see what he has to say about it this time!

        I'd like to extend my appreciation to all of you who responded.  I
was nice of you to take the time to attend to my concerns.