Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:11:27 +1100
From:
Kieleigh Hogan <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all,

Thanx to those who responded.

Well, as usual there is a contradictory response.

I guess it comes down to being careful of how much is eaten, from various
sources.

So enjoy in moderation.

Kieleigh
(Sydney, Aust)

ps. The reposonses are below, so make up your own mind.

: )

****************

glucose made from wheat starch has somewhat less gluten than the wheat
starch itself, which is about 0.02% in the best facilities (there are
approximately 12 wheat starch factories in Australia).  Given that most
coeliacs can tolerate between 10 and 100mg a day of gluten (figures from
David Wallend) ; this corresponds to a tolerance level of about 50 to 500g
total of glucose at best.  Given also that you don't know what trace
amounts you are getting elsewhere, be careful.

For example, Lowan's gluten free Coco Bombs use glucose made from tapioca
starch.

Glucose can be made from any carbohydrate including cotton!

We should be pushing for better labelling of glucose sources.

In the US it is generally easier as corn syrup is usually used instead of
glucose.

*****************

Unfortunately, the information from the Celiac Society suggests that
glucose from wheat is not to be eaten.

The Coeliac Society's ingredient booklet lists glucose as safe even if it
has been derived from wheat. So I guess we can snack away to our stomach's
content ; )

You need to be very careful with glucose, particularly with Cadbury
products.

I got caught last year with a Cadbury chocolate block after which I had a
severe reaction.  Ringing Cadbury in Ringwood, VIC, it turns out that
Cadbury *do* use glucose made from wheat starch.