Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 14:45:41 -0500
From:
Cathy Flick <[log in to unmask]>

>i read in the :against the grain" that amaranth is a NO,NO,because it is
>loaded with oats,maltodextrihn,and other ingriedients that make this exotic
>a no-no..

Pure amaranth (which naturally contains no oats, no maltodextrin) could
be used by itself rather than in a processed food product (which I assume
Against the Grain must have been talking about). I know amaranth is
incredibly tasty when mixed with wheat for bread, so I imagine it's worth
a try for rice or corn products as well.

Amaranth seed is rather small, I think, and if you get the seed and grind
it yourself you should be able to easily see if anything else has
wandered into it. Wheat and oat kernels, for example, are very big in
comparison.

Grinding it yourself is probably a good solution for other things that
have a bad reputation only because they often have some wheat
accidentally in them and the flour might well contain traces of gluten as
a result. I recall someone on this list who is very sensitive to gluten
reporting NO reaction to oatmeal made with whole oats, if the oats were
examined before use and any stray wheat was picked out. The same thing
would work with teff (teff seeds are very tiny, wheat would be easy to
spot). Buckwheat (not related to wheat, but rather in the same food
family as rhubarb) also looks quite different from wheat in whole form.

                    Peace, Cathy Flick [log in to unmask]