From:
"S.B. Feldman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:42:19 EDT
In a message dated 6/22/99 4:00:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 > I propose that nearly all seed kernels contain small amounts of toxins to
 > protect the interests of the plant. I wonder if there is wisdom in avoiding
 > all seed kernels including nuts (as well as the obvious one of grains and
 > cereals). . This is what I see as one of the major advantages of the
 > paleolithic diet. I wonder what the gurus think of that??

 The trouble with your argument is that it ignores the empirical
 reality that hunter-gatherers eat nuts and seeds, and there is
 no reason to doubt that they have done so for a very long time.
 Therefore, a paleolithic diet almost certainly included these
 foods in abundance. >>
 One question is the undefined use of the word toxin without reference to
magnitude of the amounts involved. The cyanide in almonds and in certain
fruit woods are parts of metabolic processes that may or may not have
anything to do with self-preservation.