NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:43:15 -0500
At 12:38 PM 2/2/97 -0800, Hazel Green <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I see Hazel is writing from Canada. What I'm writing below applies to the
US, and may or may not apply there.

> Depending where the seasonings come from they could contain milk - you are
> taking your chances there.

Actually I believe seasonings have a little more control that "flavorings"
or "natural flavors" which could mean absolutely anything. Also we (in the
US) are dealing with two regulatory bodies and two sets of laws. The USDA
regulates meat products and the FDA all the rest. For a while the USDA
allowed seasonings/spices to include HVP, while the FDA said spices could
only be spices. The USDA has now tightened up and is actually better than
the FDA in requiring the type of protein used in hydrolyzed protein. Not
sure exactly were "seasonings" stands now.

>The companies are not obligated to list the
>subingredients of their ingredients!!!

This is very true. The big example we that are also gluten-free have to
watch is tomato paste. They have no obligation to list the ingredients of
it, and it will often include hydrolyzed protein, which could use various
proteins as the source. You will find tomato paste as an ingredient in most
tomato sauces.

Don.