VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 09:10:25 -0500

   The JavaTM Accessibility API is enabling folks with disabilities to
   function in ways hitherto unheard of. And it's the launchpad for
   technology that is bringing new functionality to a wider population of
   non-disabled users.

   by John Bacon
   Accessibility Duke

   Earl Johnson says that two of the greatest things ever to happen to
   him are the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and the
   JavaTM Accessibility API (Application Program Interface). This summer,
   sponsors and backers of the disabilities act are celebrating its 10th
   anniversary. The wide-ranging legislation, signed into law July 26,
   1990, was designed to make it easier for people with disabilities to
   function more effectively in society. More than making sidewalk curb
   cuts and ramps, the legislation helped set off a scramble for
   accessibility to devices ranging from computers to light switches.

   "The ADA is really what brought me to Sun nine years ago," says
   Johnson, a quadriplegic since a bike accident 13 years ago, and
   founder of the Enabling Technologies Project and Sun Accessibility
   Team. "The company wanted to know where it stood on meeting the needs
   of its employees. We found out that not only did we have trouble
   meeting the needs of our own employees, but we had trouble helping our
   customers meet the needs of their employees."

Sun Takes the Lead on Enabling Technologies

   Earl Johnson

   Earl Johnson, founder, Sun Accessibility Team

   Johnson, who gives credit to Sun for its support of the Enabling
   Technologies Project, which he started in 1991 as the forerunner of
   the Sun Accessibility Team, lauds Sun's leadership in enabling product
   developers to design accessible products. By starting with research in
   the lab, Johnson says he was "allowed to fail, to learn from my
   mistakes and press on without negatively impacting the company." His
   work with the X Windowing System resulted in Mercator, a screen reader
   prototype, and Access X Keyboard enhancements such as StickyKeys and
   MouseKeys, which provided a springboard for accessible technologies
   within the Java platform. Now Java technology has made it easier for
   product developers to incorporate speech controls, and mouse-only or
   key-only keyboards into the work stations and home lives of people
   with disabilities.

    Celebrating The 10th Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act
                                   (ADA)

           Members of the Sun Accessiblity team demonstrated their latest
              technologies at events in Washington, D.C, to mark the 10th
                                                  anniversary of the ADA.

     The technology demonstration, which showed how people with visual or
          mobility impairments could manipulate networked home and office
          appliances with the help of speech and Braille output and voice
     recognition software, was built using the JavaTM platform and JiniTM
      technology. Sun's participation in this celebration underscored its
     longstanding support of disability rights. In January of 1999, Sun's
        contributions to the cause of accessiblity earned it a Disability
                                                  Rights Advocates Award.

The Java Accessibility API Means No More Retrofitting

   For Johnson, the biggest advantages have been speech and Access X
   capabilities. And, he says, he is "setting myself up" to take
   advantage of new products. Before the invention of the Java platform
   in the mid-1990s, Johnson spent long hours arduously retrofitting
   accessibility into systems that were not built for it. But the Java
   platform led to the Java Accessibility API, bringing a "clean slate"
   to the accessibility effort. Accessibility could be easily built into
   every project.

Spectacular Stuff at the 2000 JavaOneSM Conference

   Peter Korn

   Peter Korn, Sun's assistive technology architect

   Some of the most "spectacular stuff" was presented in the
   demonstration at the 2000 JavaOneSM Conference by Johnson and Peter
   Korn, Sun's assistive technology architect. Johnson proudly kicked
   things off by welcoming the crowd to his "vacation home." Using a
   laptop with a speech user interface, Johnson deftly closed a shade,
   turned on a heater and turned off a light.

   "I don't have finger control, so manipulating things like that would
   be difficult for me," Johnson says. "The Java platform and Jini
   technology give me the ability to control these devices." Korn said
   that accessible successes are possible because the Jini connection
   technology provides the ability to present devices in software as
   services, such as using a fan, and then attach multiple user
   interfaces to the services.

   Johnson used a speech-controlled laptop for the demonstration. But a
   Braille laptop also was shown. Its "screen" is actually an array of
   small Braille cells, each with six moving pins along the bottom of the
   keyboard. Korn explained that the keyboard runs the Java platform and
   a screen-reading assistance technology. It allows access to common
   desktop applications, relaying information in speech or Braille.

                             Facts And Figures

     * The Federal government spends $26.4 billion annually on electronic
       and information technology.
     * Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act bars the Federal
       government from purchasing any information technology that is not
       fully accessible. This goes into effect in August 2000.
     * The Americans With Disabilities Act mandates accessibility in the
       private sector.
     * The Telecommunications Act applies to accessibility in technology
       utilizing the telecommunications infrastructure.
     * Local government and educational markets are increasingly
       strengthening procurement requirements to include accessibility.
     * 54 million Americans have a disability.
     * 7.5% of Federal employees are people with disabilities.
     * 8% of those using the Web have significant disabilities.
     * 53% of Americans over 65 have a disability.

                 Accessible Technologies in the Marketplace
   American Management Systems is taking the lead in enhancing
   accessibility.

The Universal Design Philosophy

   These different interfaces can even be developed to allow
   communications through chat rooms. Thus Johnson's speech
   communications could be fed in, then translated out as Braille, and
   vice versa. Johnson credits the development of the Universal Design
   philosophy as helping focus the accessibility effort. Universal Design
   is the development of products, solutions or services based on an
   understanding of the abilities of all people who might use them. This
   results in designs that allow as many people as possible to use the
   products. More and more, user interfaces are being designed so anyone
   can use them. And because of the emerging technology, contemporary
   designs can provide wireless access to the product.

   So a fan can be turned on with a speech user interface or with a
   Braille keyboard. "That's the beauty of this," Johnson said. "We can
   all interact with the same service, and choose the device or personal
   accessor (anything from a cell phone to a laptop) that we want to
   interact with that service. All because of the power that the
   combination of Jini technology and the Java platform gives us."

   Johnson and Korn noted that the technology can be applied to
   applications such as operating an elevator or even an ATM machine.
   Johnson cannot work an ATM alone, so using one involves revealing his
   pin number to someone, perhaps even a stranger, which raises security
   issues. "Remote capabilities allow me to do the same transactions as
   anyone else," he points out.

   Johnson remarks that the Java platform, along with Jini technology,
   make it easy for developers to focus on accessibility for all possible
   users of their products: "We provide the tools that make it possible
   for developers to make evaluations without needing to be accessibility
   experts."

Manipulating Ships and Planes

   The 2000 JavaOne conference demonstration provided a glimpse of
   similar technologies being built into a Navy computer system in the
   works for 2008. Sun architects are working with Navy engineers on a
   system for the manipulation of ships, planes and other equipment and
   manpower via computer from a central location. So the technology that
   enables the disabled can be carried over to new uses for those without
   physical disabilities.

   "It's the curb-cut phenomenon," said John Gage, the director of the
   Sun science office who emceed the demonstration. "When you curb cut so
   someone can roll a wheelchair, it helps every parent with a baby
   carriage." Gage applauded the accessibility effort and noted that,
   "Every time we design, we should think of enhancing, blending
   modalities of interaction. The more the better."

New Accessibility Products Are on the Way

   Johnson noted that the public, more and more, seeks flexible
   technology. People want to get stock quotes, send e-mail, turn down
   the stereo and obtain information on any subject at any time from
   anywhere with one personal source of access. With each day, his
   "vacation home" demonstration comes closer to reality.

   "The things that people with disabilities have been wanting so badly
   for nearly a generation finally are being sought by everyone," Johnson
   said. "And products based on the technology are coming. As you can see
   from the demonstration, a lot of them are already here."

See Also

   ADA Home Page
   (http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm)

   Americans With Disabilities Act
   (http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/statute.html)

   The Access Board
   (http://www.access-board.gov/)

   Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
   (http://www.w3.org/WAI/)

   AMERICAN DISABLED for ATTENDANT PROGRAMS TODAY ADAPT
   (http://www.adapt.org/)

   The Spirit of ADA Campaign
   (http://www.spiritofada.org/)