VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chaim Segal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chaim Segal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:54:59 -0500
TO Whom This May Concern:

My name is Chaim Segal.  I have been a satisfied user of Primenet since
June of 1997.  Following my receiving a disappointing note concerning
Frontier's recent decision, I feel compelled to write this letter to you on
behalf of all blind persons.  I appreciate any time you spend reading the
following.

I understand that Frontier is considering doing away with Primenet shell
accounts, claiming that they are "old technology", and not used very much
any more.  I am writing to ask you to please give careful thought before
making any move to stop them altogether.

Persons involved with decision should be aware of the following:
(1) A number of Primenet users are blind/visually impaired and depend on
shell accounts to access the Internet.  While Windows is the rule for most
people, a decent number of blind individuals cannot afford to upgrade their
computer systems or even purchase systems which meet the requirements to
access the Internet comfortably via Windows.  There are a few DOS-Based
programs on the market which can be utilized to access the Internet.
However, these programs are not user-friendly when it comes to filling out
various forms on the Internet.

(2) A number of the above-mentioned population access the Internet via
electronic note-takers such as the Braille 'N Speak and Braille
Litee--(products of Blazie Engineering.)  Persons who use note-takers of
this type to access the Internet depend on shell access in order to
navigate the Web and even to send and receive E-mail.  If Frontier insists
on taking away Primenet shell accounts, this will block a significant
number of people from benefitting from what the Internet has to offer.

(3) While there is a belief that "DOS is old", there are a good number of
people who rely on its use from time to time.  I myself am in fact such an
individual.  Despite my using Eudora to write this message, I am actually
more comfortable functioning in DOS mode.  I realize that I must make the
change at some point and am trying to prepare myself.  Even while accessing
the Internet via Windows, I still fall back on the shell of my account to
access certain web pages with Lynx.

It is easy for people to make decisions without trying on the shoes of
other people who will be effected by them.  Before discontinuing shell
access, I strongly advise that Frontier please take its blind customer-base
in mind.

Thank you very much!
Chaim B. Segal