VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Hasse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:25:03 -0500
Hi, I’m Jim Hasse, owner of Hasse Communication Counseling,
a home-based business which develops web-based communities
for disability audiences. I have cerebral palsy
and 34 years of experience in corporate communication.

I want to hear your story about working (the good and the bad)
so I can learn more about career management issues
among people with vision loss/print impairment.

And, I have a client who will publish your unique career story
on a new web site this fall.

So, I invite you to submit your personal-experience story to me
about how you obtained your job or built your own business
as a person who has low vision, has dyslexia, or is blind.

You’ll have the opportunity to showcase your writing,
enhance your career and become a charter member
of a new web-based community – a network that will break new ground
and open doors to the work world of the 21st century.

As a charter member of this new network,
you’ll also be able to help shape it before its official launch
by providing feedback about its accessibility, content and architecture.

Submitting your story will also give you a chance
to be highlighted as author of one of three top stories
during a world-wide introduction of this new network

Here’s how to submit your story:

1.  Obtain an e-mail form for submitting your story
by sending me a reply to his notice (place your full name
in the body of the message, leaving the subject line as it is).

2.  Write your story as a 500-to-750-word narrative
about what is most significant or unusual
in how you obtained your present job/work situation.

3.  Complete and return the e-mail submission form
with your story to me by September 10, 1999.

After we receive your submission form with your story,
we will review all submissions and notify you
if your story is accepted, when your story will be published
and where your story can be found on the site.

When you submit your material, you will be agreeing that:

1. The publisher will have the right to reproduce and use
your materials in any format as long as you are given credit as its
author.

2. You will have the ability to freely use your materials
so long as you receive prior written approval from the publisher.

For the world-wide introduction of the site,
I will highlight three stories (one from an employee,
one from an entrepreneur and one from an employer),
according to how well each uses personal perspective
in candidly telling about the problems that had to be solved,
what was accomplished and how it was done.

Selected stories will show:

1.  The benefit of effective career management practices

2.  The range of emerging career opportunities
now open for people with vision loss/print impairment

3.  The use of technology for helping people
with vision loss/print impairment
carry out job/work situation responsibilities

4.  The extent to which a person with vision loss/print impairment
has contributed to an organization’s success

5.  The ability of the author to use the right words
to express a coherent viewpoint

By the way, if you know of employers
who have done an outstanding job in working
with employees who have vision loss/print impairment,
please forward this announcement to them or notify me.

I’ll be glad to answer any questions you may have
about this opportunity.

Sincerely,
Jim Hasse
Hasse Communication Counseling