VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chaim Segal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chaim Segal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:16:44 -0500
Hi Kelly and all:

Thanks for the interesting forward.  I could not help but to nearly laugh
when I read the beginning, as I have been swimming independently from age
eight and beyond.  With a little effort, (some of which on my own accord),
I can usually find my way around a recreation center okay.

I see both sides of the issue in Louisiana.  Personally, I think that the
NFB. should at least take a look at the device, even if they may be
against it for good reason.  Not every single blind person is the same.
Perhaps somebody who has a space-related problem in addition to blindness
could benefit from these devices as well as talking signs.  It would
probably be possible to make the talking signs optional as needed.  While
it is best when we can adapt to the sighted world around us, a few blind
persons may have an easier time adapting with a bit more aid in the
beginning.

Chaim