VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:07:28 -0500
What was most disappointing for me was the tension in the article between
technology and Braille.  this is a false arguement.  Information
technology has increased tremendously the quantity, quality, and
availability of written information to the blind.  Much of this
information could be made available in Braille. Access to information
through speech synthesis I don't believe is a significant factor in the
decline of Braille.  We don't have a model teaching method for Braille
instruction or have identified the best textbooks and techniques for
teaching Braille.

One significant flaw in the article is that much of the attention about
Braille learning in the article focuses on k-12 education, while most
people become blind as adults not in childhood.

kelly