VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Aldworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:51:10 -0600
I wasn't intimidated by this particular response but I have received some
in the past (not from this individual or this list necessarily) the
rudeness of which can scarcely be justified.  Even a New Yorker such as
myself was startled at times by the violence of the attack.  It is possible
to object to what someone is doing without using insults and foul language
to make our point.  I have a personal belief that some in the blindness
community feel put upon and vent their spleen by flaming others.  The habit
is easily acquired and if left unchecked may spill over into areas where
people will be less understanding of such attacks than those on this list
might be.  I am also concerned that lack of some kinds of social skills may
be preventing some of us from getting further in life than we otherwise
might.  It is not always blindness itself or even discrimination which
stops some of us.  Sometimes ( and I include myself here in some cases)
some of us see attacks where none are intended.  I know this message has
waxed a bit philosophical but I think the point is worth making.