VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:47:03 -0500
Hi.  I agree that Netgrocer is a particularly difficult site to use with
speech access.  The problem is that the actual items are not links, so when
you move from link to another all you'll hear is the price or something
like "buy now"  I don't recall exactly what the highlighted text says, but
essentially it's awkward to use.  I gather from your wording that you're
using Window-eyes to navigate this site.  If you are, I don't think that
hitting the "top left" hotkey will help.  Instead, when you get to a link
whose item interests you, press the insert Plus hotkey, which routes the
mouse cursor to the link you're on.  Then, use the numpad 8 key to move the
mouse up one line, which *might* tell you what item you're looking at.
Also, for combo boxes on Web sites, I have found that the Window-eyes MSAA
mode needs to be off; otherwise, Window-eyes doesn't like navigating
through Web-based combo boxes.  I believe that shift control A is the
hotkey to enable or disable this mode.  I am not a Window-eyes expert, so I
can take correction from those who are more skilled in this program than I
am. <smile>
At 05:38 PM 1/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Listers,
>I have been monitoring the list since I got my computer in July, 97, but
>this is my first post.  I particularly enjoyed the tutorial on altavista
>that Jamall sent.  I am a claims representative with the Social Security
>Administration here in Pittsburgh.
>I was wondering if anyone's had any success with netgrocer.  I haven't had
>problems with most online shopping sites I have tried, but this one really
>acts goofy.
>First of all, the cursor is always under the text, and doing a "top left"
>command doesn't move it.  The biggest problem, however, is that when you
>try to scroll down arrow in a combo box, the software thinks you are trying
>to make a submission and brings up the security alert.  Does anyone know
>why their software might be reacting this way.  I would like to be able to
>give their programers a concrete suggestion as to how to make their site
>more accessible to blind people.
>
>Thanks
>

>VICUG-L is the Visually Impaired Computer User Group List.
>To join or leave the list, send a message to
>[log in to unmask]  In the body of the message, simply type
>"subscribe vicug-l" or "unsubscribe vicug-l" without the quotations.
> VICUG-L is archived on the World Wide Web at
>http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html

      Godspeed
     David Goldfield