Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:39:04 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:
> Okay, so here's what I do.  I eat boiled eggs and pork sausage
> for breakfast, or maybe sardines in olive oil instead of the
> sausage.  I keep plenty of not-so-lean hamburger around (the 75%
> lean kind) and have that for other meals; also I get the big
> trays of chicken wings and legs and I broil up a bunch of them
> and keep them in the refrigerator.  I also eat a lot of beef
> ribs, since they have a fair amount of fat on them; I generally
> broil them with seasonings.  For snacks I keep bags of pork
> cracklings around.  Throw in some romaine lettuce salad with
> olive oil and vinegar dressing once a day and there you have it.
>
> For the first week or so, I feel pretty good.  By the end of the
> second week I'm dragging a bit.  My legs have the feeling that
> they are made of lead when I climb stairs (I do a lot of stair
> climbing at work).  My pushup capacity is halved.  This is when I
> know I'm tapped out of glycogen.  By the end of the third week
> I'm experiencing mood swings, the "fight or flight" feeling, and
> heart palpitations.  By this time my appetite is *voracious*; I
> can eat an entire bag of cracklings (about 1,000 kcal) at a
> sitting and still want more.  If I go ahead and eat more my
> weight goes up.
This does sound like you have too much protein and/or not enough
fat in your diet. When I increase the proportion of protein to
fat I also don't feel as well as on a higher fat diet, but I
don't seem to be affected nearly as much as you. I generally
don't care too much about it, but when I make a point of watching
exactly what I eat I aim for a little over 100gms protein/day
when not working out and 150-200/day when lifting. The rest is
fat. Used to be easier on a non-paleo low-carb (I would just
drink heavy cream), now I resort to bringing olive oil to work
and pouring it over veggies or mixing it into soup.

Ilya