Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 05:59:21 -0400
---
Don and Rachel Matesz <[log in to unmask]>
Next Generation Nutrition

>From:    Midas Gold queried:
A friend of mine is curious about whether or not following a
>paleo-type diet would help with high triglycerides (drug therapy has
>been so far unsuccessful).  Since I have a poor grasp of how high
>triglycerides fit into the whole picture, can someone please share an
>article or something that would be helpful to my friend?

My husband and I have observed and heard form many people who's doctors told
them to go on low-fat, low-animal protein diets, which were by default, high
carb diets....and their triglycerides went up, up, up.....as did sweets
cravings and body fat.  For some diabetics we know, their blood sugar and
body fat also went up and up.  When they =reduced meat foods and fats, they
ended up eating not only more bread, pasta, rice, etc. but more fruits,
juices, cookies, etc. (non-fat, low-fat etc.).   Big mistake!  More ailments
followed!!! ;((

When these same people switched to diets which focused on vegetables, lean
animal proteins, EFAs, monounsaturated fats, (still including red meat just
better quality, hormone/antibiotic-free, leaner--but still grain fed), their
blood profiles improved, including body fat.  One lady we helped went back
to her Dr. who said "see that's why I wanted you to take the cholesterol
lowering meds and blood pressure lowering meds" (because her tests improved.
 She looked at the Dr. and said "I didn't take any of the medications!!!"
Her Dr. wanted to know what she was doing!  She lost 20 pounds and had more
energy on her almost Paleo diet too!

It was a cross between the Zone and Paleo. She still ate some fruit plus
oats and a little squash I think.  In our experieince and from readings,
some folks with high triglycerides need to avoid (not only grain foods but
and sugar) fruit for a period of a few months (or until tests are greatly
improved)  because fructose is easily turned into triglycerides in the
liver...

I suggest your friend Read PROTEIN POWER  by Mary Dan Eades & Michael Eades,
both M.D's.  If the person wants also a short, quick read....Charles Hunt's
DIET EVOLUTION has some good quotes from studies, an intro by Eades, his
inspiring story, humor, etc.  Barry Sears book has some good info but is way
over the heads of some folks and too complicated for many to follow without
a translater/coach.

>Sorry so long,
Rachel Matesz