From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:35:20 -0600
Debbie McDonald wrote:

>   I am new here and the above line fits my scenario. I am hypoglycemic
> and a host of other ills and I am trying to find a way to deal with
> this without eating so much meat. My system is acidic and I am told
> the protein contributes. Can anyone give me advice on this??

When I started paleo I had a Big problem with hypoglycemia.  I would have trouble

if I ate fruit before suppertime.  Snacks were nuts and dry unsweetened
coconut flakes.  Sometimes breakfast was the same, sometimes meat and/or eggs,
but not a lot of food.  Breakfast is the big key to it all; not too much protein,
very
low carb.  If you get the wrong breakfast, you'll *never* catch up.  Some people
thrive on no breakfast, since your fasting blood sugar is probably about right
(it's the reactions to food choices that cause the problem).  Nuts never caused
a sugar reaction for me.

I kept the lunch and dinner meat servings to around 4 oz most of the time; less
for breakfast.  I quit drinking coffee altogether, and drink mostly decaffeinated
tea.
For about 6 months I ate 30-40 "effective" grams of carbo a day; this is about
one piece of fruit and a little carrot or tomato.  I never drink fruit juice, and
don't eat
citrus.  I've been eating more fruit lately (it seemed to be time for a break)
and have
not had any sugar crashes.  Of course I stopped losing weight :-(  I think being
so
careful for those six months (and losing 35 pounds) helped reset the hyperactive
insulin.

Good luck,

Lynnet