Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:06:50 -0700
Wally,
I live in northwest Indiana about an hour southeast of
Chicago.  I get the bag o salads from either Meijer
(nationwide?), Wilco or Strack & Van Til's (regional).
 Mostly the ones I get contain the iceberg, but when
it is that cheap I use it to mix with the more
expensive lettuces to help keep down cost and for
variety.  Even the more expensive lettuces I have been
able to get for about the same price (in season).
this time of year I am paying about $1.50/lb. for
romaine, still not very expensive.  Meijer is one of
those superstores where you can do all your shopping
under one roof (clothes, food, hardware, etc....  They
tend to have real good prices on food.  I have even
gotten organic produce from there that is comparably
priced to the other produce (2# carrots for 98 cents).
Jane

=====