From:
Alan Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 05:53:59 -0600
* Ben Balzer ([log in to unmask]) [991007 00:05]:
* Subject: Re:      Re: [P-F] Perfect Package? Sprouting question:
> Ok, here's an explanation.
> The seed contains starch etc as high energy fuel. along with some enzymes
> and metabolic machinery to commence a new plant.
> It is all kept in suspended animation by enzyme inhibitors until
> germination. These enzyme inhibitors are toxins (protease inhibitors). Once
> germination (sprouting) occurs, the enzyme inhibitors disappear so the plant
> can grow as quickly as possible. Therefore sprouts contain less toxins than
> do seeds. Also, once the metabolic machinery starts working, then vitamin
> production etc can commence.

I don't think anyone would dispute what you've said here,
I don't think that is the issue.  The concern was over a
toxin that was produced by the sprout, presumably to protect
it from insects while in its fragile sprouted form.  BTW,
I've also heard that another source of concern is commercially
grown sprouts.  Apparently most commercial sprouters do not
wash the containers between batches and significant populations
of e. coli grow on the sprouts.

--alan