From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:21:51 +1000
Ok, here's an explanation.
The seed contains starch etc as high energy fuel. along with some enzymes
and metabolic machinery to commence a new plant.
It is all kept in suspended animation by enzyme inhibitors until
germination. These enzyme inhibitors are toxins (protease inhibitors). Once
germination (sprouting) occurs, the enzyme inhibitors disappear so the plant
can grow as quickly as possible. Therefore sprouts contain less toxins than
do seeds. Also, once the metabolic machinery starts working, then vitamin
production etc can commence.
Ben Balzer