Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 00:19:52 -0700

>    ... I can only point out the very high level of
>    coronary disease in Pacific Islanders who eat a lot of coconut...

Which "Pacific Islanders" are being referred to here? Were they eating
their historical diet of breadfruit, other fruits, fish, coconut etc?
Or are they eating white man's food including fried stuff, white flour,
cooked vegetables, beef etc? Blaming CHD on coconut seems unwarranted
and unsupportable - who says they are even correlated? The seed-oil
industry lackey scientists? Did they use other genotypes for their
controls? The whole thing reeks of agendized BS, not objective science.

> For example, this affects the men in
>    the Solomons which is a fairly underdeveloped area- they're said to be big
>    strapping fellows who work hard in the sun (not loafing around getting
>    hyperfattened on a Western junk diet as happens on some more prosperous
>    islands)- it is blamed on the lipid profile of coconut, but maybe there's
>    more to it than that.

"It is blamed ..." Again, who is doing the blaming and how do they justify
their conclusions? How're the natives' smoking habits? Getting enough ascorbate
and lysine in their diets? What's that? The researchers neglected to take those
data? Maybe they already knew what they were looking for; hardly scientific.

>    So, those of you who need a treat and a bit of variety, I'm sorry but I
>    don't think coconut is paleo. Try prunes.

Gimme a break. They are hardly interchangeable. Prunes give me oral allergies
and are (in)famous for their diarrhea-inducing qualities.

OTOH when I bite into a fresh chunk of coconut I can relate to what
the "instincto" crowd are alluding to!