From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:33:57 -0500
Potatoes contain toxic alkaloids, most notably solanine. People die from
solanine  poisoning, usually from eating raw potatoes. There is also the
issue of fungal contamination in organically raised potatoes and the
fungicide sprayed on commercially raised potatoes to counteract the fungus.
Basically, the body can't really assimilate a raw potato through digestion.
It passes through largely undigested. Potatoes must be cooked to break down
their starch content. Without the heat of cooking that breaks down chemical
bonds of the starch, the body can't digest it and assimilate it.

Troy G.