Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 10:45:29 -0400
Bruce Sherrod asked:

    Should I purchase the new edition of Neanderthin?

I think so.  You will find some pleasant changes and new tips, recipes, and
references. (Biased? I'm reviewing the new edition!!!!!  Sorry, this is not
meant to be a teaser just a tip!)   We've loaned Ray & Troy's previous
editions out to a lot of people who then bought their own copies and got
into this WOE.  I suggest also acquiring Weston Price's classic Nutrition &
Physical Degeneration.  It is must reading!  The pictures are great too!
(We have the video, also good!)

    How is skin cancer from sunlight explained?  I assume this kind
    of cancer is not common among hunter-gatherers, despite the fact
    that they spend so much time in the sun.

Some explain the rise in skin cancer (despite less sun exposure) to the
incrase in consumption of wrecked (processed, rancid) polyunsaturated oils
and trans fats which cause increased oxidation of the cells.  Some theorize
that increased sugar consumption is also a cause. Use of flourescent lights
has also been implicated.

:...a study published in the Lancet reported that a group of Australians who
wored all day under fluorescent lights had higher incidence of skin cancer
than people who frequently sunbathed or worked outside!"

See Health & Healing Wisdom, the journal of the Price Pottenger Nutrition
Foundation, Spring. 1998. vol. 22, No. 1.  Also ask them at previous
references to skin cancer and consumption of trans fats. Call
1-619-574-7763.  (They sell Dr. Price's book and video too!)

    >>So, why does
    the paleo diet encourage eating foods such as suet, schmaltz, lard,
    and coconut oil?  A quick poke at the USDA database reveals:

        coconut oil             86.5% saturated (!)

Coconut milk, coconut butter/coconut oil contain short and medium chain SFAs
which have potent anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-microbial properites.  I
have read research on this and also heard anecdotal reports from
acqaintances who've used the coconut milk for their beneficial fatty acids
(mainly lauric acid, caprylic acid).  Health food stores even sell these two
fatty acids in capsules, which some people with HIV, chronic fatigue, and
certain protozoa have used with success.  The article gives refs.  Btw: same
issue has an article called *Vitamin A Knavery* some may find interesting.

(See Price Pottenger Nutrition Foundation Health Journal, Spring 1996, vol.
20 #1.  (See phone # above).  Article *Health & Nutritional Benefits of
Coconut Oil.*)

    >Bottled coconut oil seems wasteful  and non-paleo to me; I'd rather
just eat raw coconuts.

That's fine, but some like to use unrefined coconut butter (read labels) in
in culinary applications where olive oil would be too strong but where a
liquid fat is desirable.  It makes a great butter replacement for people who
are getting off butter, margarine, and shortening.  Everyone I've turned on
to it has liked it.

    Troy Gilchrist answered other questions (re: desicated liver powder is
not a *supplement* per se, it's a dried food.  (I consider it a *convenience
food* esp. since my hubby doesn't care for poultry liver as much as I do and
I cannot swallow beef liver as a side dish)

 Re: beef... check the net to see if anyone is raising PIEDMONTESE BEEF in
your area.  This breed was imported to the US by way of Canada 10 years ago.
 If you want to know what breeds it's crossed with (some are unusual), let
me know. The Piedmontese breed goes back 2,500 years--and was the result of
the crossing of Auroach and Zebu cattle in the Alpine (Piedmontese region)
of Northern Italy. Note:  These steers look like big ole body builders
(massive necks, etc.) and lean when hanging (even after eating grain!!!),
whereas the conventional cattle (side by side) look like flabby coach
potatoes!  Sorry pictures I have aren't scanned to disks...

A serving of Piedmontese beef is lower in total fat, calories, and
cholesterol than skinless, dark meat chicken, yet tender and juicy if
properly prepared.  It shrinks less in cooking.  There are growers across
the US.  If you buy a whole steer I'll bet they'd sell you one before it
goes to the feedlot!  We don't have a deep freeze.

We get it form a local grower.  The animals are fed some grain, but we often
get meat from the really lean steers.  I could say a lot more about the
constituents of this beef but don't know if people want to know more. (I've
published three articles on it so I have charts, numbers, etc.)

   >How about carob?
Depends who you ask. It's from a pod.  You can buy raw or roasted carob.  We
use it.

Thanks for joining us, Bruce.    Sorry so long.... :-/
Must get back to work now, fun as this is! :-)))

Best of success,

Rachel Matesz