Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:10:36 -0500
Ben Balzer: Yeh, they're all great guys, know everything, cure everything,
never overservice, never afraid to admit when they're stumped. Happy to do
house calls, night calls and see the poor for free. Wanna buy a bridge?  But
what can a poor quack do - sell the man a whole bunch of useless herbs or
massage or aromatherapy- how about a bullshit poultice?

Rachel:  If you mean that accupuncturists, naturopathic doctors, and
chiropractors are quacks...I think you are full of corn grits.  Maybe you
don't know what they have studied, how they have helped people, and have
never experienced the benefits of such treatments. Sure their are good
practitioners and not so good ones, but some people would rather deal with a
different medical model than the Western one which has one of the shortest
track record in history.

Ben:  Ah, I'm blowing hot and cold, I'll never make a good flamer. Maybe you
could learn to be a bit more open minded and less perjorative. You are in
fact prejudiced against doctors and you think that makes you special- but it
doesn't.

Rachel:  Gee, I didn't know I was being "closed" minded or perjorative. :-l
My take on the Western Medical model is that it is not about HEALTH CARE but
rather "DISEASE CARE/TREATMENT".  They mistake early detection "prevention."
 No, maybe we're not special!!!  We've  just had a commitment to "natural"
or "alternative" health care for years and subscribed to the belief that the
body can  heal itself when given the proper support.   Btw:  Chinese  herbal
medicine has been practiced for more than 4,000 years and many believe that
herbal medicine has stone-age "roots."  We have chosen to take herbs to
rectify certain imbalances rather than take isolated, pharmaceutical
products which are much like processed foods or isolated nutrients.

Ben:  WHy don't you put the poor man on a paleodiet- that's about the only
thing that might really work.

Rachel:  I don't PUT anyone on a Paleo diet.  If they WANT to change, I
share with them what I know and offer support.  My mother in law would NEVER
change the way they eat.  She's about as open as a lock with no key.  So, we
don't offer advice.

Very few people know that there are individuals who do not visit a doctor
for an annual physical, don't take prescription drugs, don't know all their
"numbers", and put more stock in how they look, feel, and the improvements,
and quality of life they experience.  Btw:  I respect the quality of work
good surgeons can do sewing up people who need it, I just don't put a lot of
stock in most of their "tests" for health or "cures."

Maybe some others on this list agree???

Rachel