From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:01:01 +1000
As this is the paleofood list, I'm going to be totally biased on this and
state that the most valid HYPOTHESIS for ADD is the MULTIPLE NUTRITIONAL
DEFICIENCIES AND INSUFFICIENCIES OF THE NEOLITHIC DIET. Therefore, the most
valid therapy is the paleolithic diet as it alone addresses the multiple
nutritional problems. The fatty acid balance is right, the vitamins and
minerals are high, the antioxidants are high. There are many undiscovered
micronutrients, and only a paleolithic diet can provide them.

If you recall a previous post of mine, it has been well established by
archaeologists that brain size is now some 100-200 cc smaller in humans
today than it was 10,000 to 90,000 years ago. (modern adult 1350cc,
paleolithic 1500cc) I believe it is valid to think that  this could be due
to change in diet alone. Although brain size is not the only determinant of
intelligence-------- in a given individual, anything that reduces his/her
brain size will reduce intelligence. If you accept that diet is the reason
for the larger brain mass of paleolithic man, than you must accept that
Paleodiet is the ideal neurodevelopmental diet.

The best bet (since the condition isn't fully understood any treatment is a
bet) for ADD is a Paleolithic diet. The same goes for children who've been
exposed to lead-poisoning (all ADD children should have a blood lead level
for current lead status- when their teeth fall out, they can be tested for
prior lead exposure).

For the record, I believe that the paleolithic diet is the archetypal
perfect diet. Just as breast milk is the archetypal perfect diet for
infants, paleodiet holds promise for most health problems for the rest of
life.

Ben Balzer