From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 02:00:25 -0500
From: Rob Street <[log in to unmask]>

> Ever since joining this list (Last November) people have occasionally
> mentioned not eating New World food.  How is New World defined?

I personally take a much broader view.  In describing my diet to strangers,
I often say that I only eat those foods that are edible to Primates in
Nature.  This distinction takes the argument to a period of time measured in
tens of millions of years and far beyond the geographical and ethnic
limitations of a somewhat arbitrary line between the Paleolithic and
Neolithic Eras.  Humans are very closely related to other Primates sharing
more than 90% of their DNA.  It is the flexibility in the remaining DNA that
allows Primates to inhabit a wide range of ecological niches.  In spite of
these physiological differences, no Primates are capable of eating grains,
beans, potatoes, milk or refined sugars in Nature.  A few Primates eat
things we wouldn't eat (tree leaves and leaches), but overall I think the
monkey test is viable for both New and Old World foods.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
http://www.NeanderThin.com (still under construction, suggestions sought)