From:
Cecilia Moen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:14:47 +0200
>I now have two other questions.  Alicia is taking non-allergenic,
pre-natal
>vitamins.  Is this necessary/healthy?  Also, I understand that folic
acid is
>very important...what foods are rich in folic acid?

I have always read that the first trimester one should avoid
supplementation unless directly recommended so by a health
practitioner.

That said there is a non-profit organisation in Great Britain called
Foresight. They have helped hundreds of couples get healthy children
after years of miscarriage etc. Their website is still a little thin,
but you might find it interesting.

http://www.surreyweb.org.uk/foresight/leaflets.html

A quote from them: "the latest U.K. statistics reveal that, out of
every 100 live births, six babies are now born either with 'minor' or
1major' physical malformations. Furthermore, one in four babies are
now born with some degree of learning disability and/or mental
deficiency"

Anyway there is some interesting stuff about the importance of zinc
(among other things). Note that they recommend meat as an important
source, and that dairy inhibits intake of zinc.

Cecilia in Sweden