From:
Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:15:07 -0400
On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:15:26 -0700 Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> I also like those very inexpensive flambeau style pole lamps,
> which use halogen bulbs, and give a natural spectrum of light.
> You just have to be sure that they don't get near the drapes.

I suspect that this might be veering a bit OT for the list, but I'll risk
a brief reply...

This is a common misconception about halogen bulbs.  Despite their
compact size, SLIGHTLY greater efficiency, and more stable output over
their lifetime, they are still essentially incandescent bulbs.  As a
photographer, I treat them EXACTLY as I would a regular incandescent
bulb.  They "burn" with the same color temperature (approx. 3200 degrees
K), and produce exactly the same color response on photographic film.
Special "full spectrum" lamps are a different story.  I can't speak for
or against any of them, but a regular halogen bulb is a different
animal...